If you’re coming to the West Midlands (Birmingham, Sandwell, The Black Country) to work or study I’d like to invite you to consider being part of something by making Bearwood Chapel your church.
This is not because we want to grow by membership transfer, our primary focus is on seeing people respond to the Gospel but as I said earlier, we always welcome the arrival of partner workers in the Harvest Field. Nor do I want to try and promote Bearwood Chapel over other churches. There are lots of fantastic churches around the area and we hope you will find the best place where you can serve. However
1. For some people a place like Bearwood Chapel will be the right place to come and grow in faith as well as serve the Gospel
2. I guess I am sort of also putting a flag up here for churches like ours that might not be the big name churches and may not be the obvious choices for students and new graduates. I want to encourage people to consider churches and communities like ours and I want to encourage churches in communities like ours. This comes back to my core theme at the moment that the most exciting place to be for a believer is within the local church. That’s where things happen.
So what might happen if you come to Bearwood?
1. You’d be part of a local church that loves to reach out with the Gospel. The community around us is ethnically diverse. There are many social and economic challenges but it is also a vibrant, positive and creative community. We are constantly seeking to make contact with people and share the Gospel. This includes opening a Community Café 3 days a week where people can come for food, coffee, tea, friendship, prayer practical advice and help and most vitally find out about the Gospel. We run a variety of Toddlers, children’s and teens groups. We run our own in house courses including Rooted and First Look, give out gospels to people, run community family days, concerts arts days and much more.
2. You’d be part of a local church that loves God’s Word and loves to see people grow in their faith. At the heart of all of our weekend gatherings is an emphasis on expository teaching. This includes traditional style sermons and interactive Bible studies.
3. You’d be part of a local church that loves its members. This is seen especially through our small groups ministry throughout the week. You’d be part of church family that crosses ethnic boundaries and covers the full age spectrum from 0-94.
4. You’d be part of a local church that loves to train and equip people for service. That’s one of the reasons why we provide faithroots.net as a resource for training and equipping believers. Members are actively involved in church life and all are encouraged to discover and develop their gifts. This includes encouraging people to develop teaching and preaching gifts so it’s not just the pastor who preaches. We look to develop future members by training and mentoring. We love sending and supporting people as they go on mission or go on to further training at theological college.
5. You’ll be part of a local church that’s excited about church planting and revitalisation. Our particular concern is to see new, interdependent churches planted across the Black Country. This started back in 2012 when we moved from having one Sunday morning service to two congregations. We now have 4 Sunday congregations and a Saturday Night, Spanish speaking congregation. We are praying about opportunities to help plant new churches in communities where there isn’t currently a Gospel witness.
So we’d particularly love to welcome people who are interested in urban church planting and would like to be trained, nurtured and sent out into the wider Sandwell and Black Country area.
So if you come along to be part of something at Bearwood Chapel, don’t expect a quiet life where you just sit in the pew and consumer. Come and be part of something exciting whether that’s getting out on the streets and door to door meeting new people, helping to share the good news with children at our different clubs, translating for someone who can’t speak English, playing an instrument …or whatever gifts you have to offer as we are part of something, seeking to share the love of Jesus.
- Have a look at our main church website and the Plant BC pages here to find out more about who we are and what we are about
- Get in touch via the contact form below and let us know if and when you are coming up to the Midlands. We’d love to welcome you when you arrive